Whether you want to play the latest games or build an efficient and successful business, you will need to know about system updates. System updates usually involve two key aspects – Your operating system and your software.
Technology is constantly evolving, making it necessary to keep updating our devices and their contents. And although it’s an upfront cost for businesses, it will keep it running productively. If system updates have been left aside on your to-do list, you could risk your business falling behind. Hiring an expert IT consultancy would probably reduce some of the hustle with the manual updates as well.
The difference between a system update and a system upgrade
When dealing with IT products, it’s important to understand the difference between a system update and a system upgrade. A system update is often required as features may have been enhanced or improved. Some minor tweaks are, therefore, needed.
However, an upgrade requires users to install entirely new versions of a particular software. It is usually only needed when systems need to be replaced with newer versions to accommodate certain expansions or use improved features.
One of the key differences in system updates and upgrades is the cost. The software designer or supplier usually releases updates for free and does not take very long to install. However, with upgrades, new versions will usually cost more as they come in entirely new packages.
Depending on the complexity of the software, you may also need professional assistance to install them. Upgrades can be offered at a discounted rate from the provider if the user has an older version.
Secondly, updates and upgrades differ in their purpose. Updates become available to mitigate minor issues encountered in the software, such as security problems or to remove bugs. In contrast, upgrades completely change some features to optimise the product, software or system and offer end-users faster, more efficient systems when installed. Upgrades are essential for anyone who relies heavily on specific systems or software to manage a business.
Now that we’ve cleared those differences up, let’s get started on the reasons why you need to keep updating systems.
Helps Business Performance
Here is what to consider if you want to boost business performance:-
- Employee Productivity – Employees can process workloads faster when CPU’s, processors and hard drives are updated.
- Boost Efficiency – New systems allow employees to work from a range of devices. This allows for work to get done from a mobile on the way to work, increasing sales. It also improves communication potential by allowing you to reach your clients via email, social media, and more with ease.
- Reduce Overall Costs – Older systems will require regular maintenance costs. So while the initial costs may seem daunting, it will save you both time and money in the long run to update it.
System Updates Improve Security
The IT Governance noted that UK business’ lost around £13 billion in 2019 due to cybercrime. That shoots up to £87 billion when you consider other factors like lost productivity and damaged assets.
With the rise in malware, viruses and cyberattacks, keeping devices and software up to date is a must. Many software updates affect a systems’ database. For example, Microsoft’s Definition databases can detect objects that contain phishing, malicious code, and junk mail and weed them out.
When it comes to different operating systems, like Microsoft Windows, Apple iOS or Android, they aim to provide better usability, leading to vulnerabilities. Cybercriminals can detect these vulnerabilities in new operating systems, which is why regular updates are vital.
Similarly, updating software and applications on your devices can further protect your system as a whole.
You can update Random Access Memory (RAM) and virtual memory to store more data. Your entire system relies on its memory. Even the likes of moving your mouse cursor uses valuable RAM.
If you are multitasking in multiple apps, store a lot of data, or have software constantly running in the background, you will likely need more than 8GB of RAM. Consider the right amount of gigabytes of RAM you will need. This simple system update can stop your computer from slowing down, crashing, stalling and spinning that loading cursor.
System Updates Provide New Features
These new features typically include visual improvements and significant enhancements to improve user experience and system security. Here are the main reasons for these OS updates:-
- Software From Other Companies – You might not be able to use software from other companies if you don’t update the operating system’s features.
- User Experience – It can improve the usability for staff and individuals. With updates improving everything from how your software runs to bugs and fixes (see below).
- Remote Technician Support – Especially for businesses, the help of an IT professional when technical issues arise can help troubleshoot problems with ease.
Bugs and Fixes
Whether you’ve noticed some interesting glitches in the new Cyberpunk 2077 update or aware of system bugs in your business’ tech, bugs are a hot topic in updates. Some updates will, sadly, cause bugs which are errors in a computer system or program.
While other updates will fix these bugs.
Bugs can slow down the workflow by crashing your system. Or they can create funny memes as the main character in a game goes flying in any direction. Either way, they are an annoyance due to a misstep in source code. And you either have to undo the update or await the next update to fix the issue.
How to Update Systems Without Causing More Problems?
In some cases, updating systems can do more harm than good. Here are some things to keep in mind:-
- Only update software if your system can support it
- Back-up your desktop before software updates (Just in case there are bugs)
- Uninstall software updates that give you problems
- Ensure a secure network through testing
- Remember that your computer or applications will need to restart after updates, so decide when you update wisely
- Bugs in updates might be fixed in future updates
Essentially system updates are created to ensure the smooth running of your technology. Although they can be frustrating, they are essential to boosting productivity, easy access, memory, features, and fixing security issues and bugs. So, research your OS and software needs and update your systems for peace of mind.
About EC-MSP, your IT support partner
EC-MSP are one of the top IT support companies in London. If you would like more advice and support with technology for your business, contact us today to see how we can help.